Chelsea SC is a development-based club.
It is our goal to teach and develop players to their full potential, not
simply coaching them to win games. All Chelsea SC coaches are required to
implement a teaching program that follows the basic principles of
development in soccer:
- Fundamental Skill Development (Technical)
- Decision Making (Tactical)
- Speed, Fitness, Agility, and Flexibility (Physical)
- Mental Growth Development/Education (Psychological)
Through this approach, player development occurs/is taught at certain states
in a players growth (also known as "age/developmentally appropriate"
- Under 9/10: Fundamental skill and game play development/education in a
fun, stimulating environment
- Under 11/12: Continued fundamental skill and game play
development/education through fun, stimulating/challenging environment.
- Under 13/14/15: Emphasis on tactical, physical, and psychological
aspects of the game. Continued technical development.
- Under 16/17/18/19: All components of play - technical, tactical,
physical, and psychological
Chelsea SC has established similar developmental guidelines for the position
of Goalkeeper. Through specialized teaching and coaching, all players who
play goalkeeper are taught and coached by the Chelsea SC Goalkeeper Coach.
All Chelsea SC coaches are required to carry a minimum of a State Level "D"
On-going training/teaching of Chelsea SC coaches is done and promoted by the
Technical Director. All Chelsea SC coaches must pass a thorough
interview/evaluation process that demonstrates their knowledge of the game
of soccer, their ability to work with and communicate well to the gender/age
of the players they are to coach, and model in a positive manner the
principles of fair-play and good sportsmanship.